This Apprenticeship covers a range of occupations within hospitality and catering, one of the largest industries in the country. catering covers work in restaurants, hotels, cafés, pubs, and contract caterers – it also supplies other industries with food and drink. Schools, colleges, hospitals and large businesses nearly always have canteens and catering staff, too.
Apprentices will have the choice of one of six career paths within the industry. If you’re interested in service, you could train as waiting staff and learn how to serve customers, or train in drinks service – one of the fastest growing sub-sectors.
Apprentices interested in cookery could either train as a chef in a restaurant, or learn how to cook on a large scale for institutions like the NHS or armed forces.
A Catering NVQ can take you all over world, cooking or serving fantastic food in some of the planets most exotic locations. You may find yourself working for top Michelin star chefs or preparing food for celebrity guests at leading Hotels.
Apprentices more interested in the hospitality side of the sector could work in a hotel reception area; learn to run a B&B or youth hostel; or keep a hotel crisp and clean.
Successful completion of the Advanced Apprenticeship could lead to management or supervisory roles.Job RolesLevel 2 (Apprenticeship)
- Waiter or Silver Service Waiter
- Bar-person, Cellar-person, and possibly Bar supervisor
- School Cook, Cook, Team member or Chef
- Craft Chef, Kitchen assistant or Team member
- Youth Hostel Worker/Supervisor
- Team Member/Supervisor within a Holiday Park or Small Hotel
The Catering & Hospitality NVQ Level 2 qualification consists of a variety of practical and theory based units. These units include basic food hygiene, food preparation, cooking and food and drink service.
On the course you will learn food service, which includes silver service, the correct manner to present and open wine. You will study butchery, covering meat and poultry.
The Catering NVQ should provide you with the knowledge on how to correctly prepare fish, soups and sauces.Mandatory units
- Maintain Safe, Hygienic and Secure Working Environment
- Contribute to Effective Teamwork
- Maintain Food Safety
- Prepare fish for basic dishes
- Prepare meat for basic dishes
- Prepare poultry for basic dishes
- Prepare vegetables for basic dishes
- Cook and finish basic fish dishes
- Cook and finish basic meat dishes
- Cook and finish basic poultry dishes
- Cook and finish basic vegetable dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic hot sauces
- Prepare, cook and finish basic soups
- Make basic stock
- Prepare, cook and finish basic pasta dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic egg dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic bread and dough products
- Prepare, cook and finish basic pastry products
- Prepare, cook and finish basic cakes, sponges and scones
- Prepare, cook and finish basic hot and cold desserts